Thursday, January 15, 2009

On Bernie Madoff and Jews

Rabbi Marc Gellman has recently written his last article for Newsweek. He is an outstanding rabbi and I rarely disagree with him. I will miss his voice at Newsweek.

In his last column, Rabbi Gellman wrote:

"One of the very worst things you did has to do with the Jews. You are responsible for reviving the "Jew game." I heard of the Jew game from a boy who became a man last Saturday. I asked him once if he had ever experienced anti-Semitism in school."

Up I this point I found myself in agreement with the article. At this point, I found myself saddened. I think that Marc has gone into the Galut insecurity mode of "Mah Yomru Hagoyim? What will the non Jews say?"

Frankly, I am not all that concerned about an increase in anti Semitism as a result of Madoff. Anti Semites are going to hate us no matter what and I am not a fan of a very large organization that has outlived its usefulness and seeks to find anti Semites under every rock while it pays its CEO a huge salary.

Here is what I wish Marc had wrote. "One of the very worst things you did has to do with the Jews. We are a people who constantly have had to struggle with the challenges of both persecution and assimilation. Your shenanigans have made this task even more difficult. Many of the charitable foundations from whom you have stolen were dedicated to strengthening Israel and the Jewish people. Many were dedicated to helping kids go to Israel and to Jewish education.

We live in a time when many very wealthy Jewish philanthropists are finding the cause of Jewish education to be "non sexy." As a result, they are seeking different venues for their money, primarily in the field of more universal concerns. In so doing, they have given up on educating Jews for the next generation.

Many of the foundations from whom you stole Bernie still found support for Jewish education to be worthwhile. As a result, you have done great damage to our people and made the tasks of those who in support of the Jewish community and especially in support of Jewish education much more difficult. Thus Bernie, you have done great damage not only to our people and but also to our future.

You have betrayed us in a vile way. Your ultimate punishment will come from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment